Old Huttonian Lodge No 7614

 

 

 

Meetings:   1st Saturday – October, November, March  and 2nd Saturday – April

Installation:   1st Saturday September

Web site:  

Secretary: Michael Greenwood : L7614@westlancsfreemasons.org.uk

Lodge History:

In the Beginning…

 

The origins of Old Huttonian Lodge No 7614 were established in the School’s Governing Body, which included G H Bath and J S Howarth, {Leslie Howarth’s father); two prominent masons in the Penwortham area with strong connections to Penwortham Lodge No 5874 and the recently formed Priory Lodge No 6027. There had been talk before the outbreak of the Second World War, but the resolve came in the 1950’s when these brethren and a group of Old Huttonians decided that it was time for Hutton Grammar School to be associated with a Masonic Lodge, with the Headmaster, C W Lloyd, an active mason in Preston’s Amounderness Lodge No 7105.

There is no doubt, Harry Wilkins, Secretary of the Old Huttonian Association and a member of Leyland Lodge No 4249, would be contacted and become involved. Indeed, there is a marked correlation between the Founders of Old Huttonian Lodge and the list of the early Past Presidents of Old Huttonian Association. Records, or the lack of them, reveal gaps in the origins of a large minority of the Founders, but those that do exist show distinct links with the Preston, Leyland and Southport Groups.

A list of 30 brethren, Old Huttonians and school staff, were submitted to Grand and Provincial Lodges for approval. One was rejected, T E McIlwaine, on the grounds that his lodge was under the Irish Constitution, but ‘Mac’ was soon to become the Lodge’s first Joining member.

Representatives presented a petition to Provincial Lodge and in May 1958, a special meeting of Priory Lodge was called to receive a petition for the formation of a proposed new lodge to be called ‘Old Huttonian Lodge’ designed to cater for Old Boys and Masters of Hutton Grammar School. The Master of Priory Lodge was unable to attend and Leslie Howarth received the petition on his behalf. On the advice of His Honour Judge Edward Steel, the conditions for membership were not included in the Bye-Laws but stated in a preamble to them. There was also a slight amendment in that ‘Staff’ replaced ‘masters’ – this allowed the Clerk to the Governors to become a founder!

The School Hall was vetted by Provincial Grand Lodge and on the 3rd September, 1958, {A.L.5918}, the Warrant was signed with the following brethren named:

Frank Higginson Walsh,

LawrenceBurton,

Charles William Lloyd,

Leslie Howarth,

Allen Horne Grime,

Harry Wilkins, and

Reginald Caunce.

Monday, 12th January, 1959 was the day chosen by the Provincial Grand Lodge of  Lancashire, Western Division, for the consecration and founding of Old Huttonian Lodge No.7614, at Hutton Grammar School, Near Preston.

The Pedestals were borrowed from Priory Lodge who earlier had been lent the same by Coppull Lodge No 4232. Douglas Johnson, a member of staff and soon to become the Lodge’s second Initiate, undertook the manufacture of any outstanding wooden artefacts.

 

 

The Consecration

 

28 Founders and 160 guests accepted the invitation from  R.W. Bro.L.E. Rutherford, the Provincial Grand Master of Lancashire, (Western Division) and The Master Designate, W.Bro.Frank H.Walsh, P.Pr.G.Treas. to attend the Consecration of The Old Huttonian Lodge at the School on Monday, the 12th  January at 2.15 p.m.

It needs to be noted that it would have been a ‘normal’ school day. The logistics of marshalling 28 founders and 160 guests in and around the School Hall during an afternoon school session, not to mention the 50+ boarders in residence, begs the question whether or not the Chairman of Governors, W.Bro. His Honour Judge Edward Steel, had declared that the School be awarded an extra holiday. The weather at that time of year was wintry; the author recalls travelling from university to watch PNE on a snow-covered pitch draw 2-2 at Derby County in the Cup on the 10th, and arriving at Preston on the Tuesday, the 13th, to discover that the replay had been postponed because of thick fog, before catching a train back to Manchester to resume his studies.

 

Officiating Brethren

Consecrating Officer:

RWBro L E Rutherford,

Provincial Grand Master

—————————

Installing Master:

WBro Thos W Ward, P.G.D.,

Assistant Provincial Grand Master

—————————

WBro T Hargreaves, P.G.D.,

Assistant Provincial Grand Master

—————————

 

WBro G H Bath, P.Pr.G.W.    ………………………I.P.M.

WBro L A Pardey, Pr.S.G.W.   ………………………S.W.

WBro R B Brookes, Pr.J.G.W.  ……………………….J.W.

WBro Rev T G Beer, P.Pr.G.Chaplain  …………..Chaplain

WBro H A Fry, P.G.D., Pr.G.Sec.     …………….Secretary

WBro P A Shaw, P.Pr.G.W., Pr.G.D.C.  …….……..…D.C.

WBro F H Lamb, Pr.S.G.D.       ……………………..   S.D.

WBro H Todd, Pr.J.G.D.  ………………………………J.D.

WBro H T Edwards Pr.G.Swd. B.  …………………Swd.B.

WBro J Dodds Drummond,

P.Pr.G.W.,  Pr.D.G.D.C.  …… D.D.C.

WBro L M Stuart, Pr.D.G.D.C.  ……………………..D.D.C.

WBro J Pinder, Pr.G.Std.B.   ………………………….Std.B.

WBro R MAC G Ward, Pr.G.Std.B.   ……………..….Std.B.

WBro E Watkinson, P.A.G.D.C., ……………………….Organist

WBro R H Mayor, P.Pr.G.D.C. ………………………….I.G.

WBro J S Nield, Pr.G.Stwd., ……………………….. Steward.

Bro  C Porter Pr.G.Stwd., ……………………………. Steward.

W.Bro.W.C.Worthington, Prov.G Tyler…………   ……Tyler.

 

Choir:                       WBro E Hargreaves, P.Pr.G.D.C.

Bro E Henthorn

Bro F J Marsh

Bro W Timbrell

Bro A Yate

 

Other distinguished, or about to become so, visitors included

WBro T H Ainsworth, P.A.G.D.C.

Bro P A Schofield,

Bro T E St Johnston,

WBro Percy Goldberg, P.A.G.D.C.

 

Apologies for absence included

WBro Dr D J Davies, P.G.D., Chairman of the Preston Group,

WBro Dennis Haines, Secretary of the R.M.I.Girls,

The Bishop of Lancaster, and.

Bro A M Maguire, the only founder not to be present.

 

The ceremony, carried out in the Third Degree, had an Order of Procedure detailing 45 separate items to be followed. Interspersed amongst the processions, prayers, hymns and chants were :

The approval by the brethren of the Officers named in the Warrant.

The Invocation.

The Consecration,

The vessels containing the Elements of Consecration were carried round the Lodge, with the Consecrating Officer scattering

Corn – the symbol of Plenty and Abundance,

Wine – the symbol of Joy and Cheerfulness,

Oil     – the symbol of Peace and Unanimity, and

Salt    – the symbol of Fidelity and Friendship.

The Dedication.

The Constitution of the Lodge.

Following the Patriarchal Benediction, The Lodge was resumed in the Second Degree for the Installation of the Master Designate, WBro Frank H  Walsh, P.Pr.G.Treas.